Event: Exclusive Preview of “The Conversation Project”
Date: August 27, 2023
Location: Karibu Wine Lounge, Alameda
Photos (19): Desmond Rodgers
Influencers and industry were treated to an exclusive & private sneak preview of Hulu’s New Series “The Conversation Project,” originated by veteran sportswriter Marc J. Spears, currently of ESPN’s Andscape, and renowned chef David Lawrence at Karibu Wine Lounge in Alameda.
America has been hampered by racism for centuries, with even incremental progress meeting with varying degrees of resistance. Here we are in the 21st century and even in sports, a supposed meritocracy, this social illness remains stubborn.
Those on the vanguard continue to experiment with creative ideas to nudge us closer to the yet undelivered promise of true equality.
Veteran sportswriter Marc J. Spears, currently of ESPN’s Andscape, and renowned chef David Lawrence are breaking new ground in this regard. They want to expose everyone – even those who are reluctant – to take a few minutes eavesdropping into the Black experience.
[Marc Spears] So we created a TV show concept. I wrote a treatment; the treatment became a pilot in which had Terrence Mann from the (Los Angeles) Clippers. We brought him to a vineyard in Napa called Charles Krug. I interviewed him in the winery. And in amongst the vineyards, Chef made a Caribbean meal because he has Caribbean ties. We brought it to a roundtable and had a dinner with (Clippers assistant coach) Brian Shaw and his wife, Chef Nikki Shaw, (comedian) W. Kamau Bell, and a lady named Brenae Royal, who is a Black woman in the wine industry… Read More @ Awful Announcing
• The Conversations Project – Hulu
• Video | How ‘The Conversations Project’ highlights the Black experience – NBC Sports Bay Area
• Marc J. Spears shares how The Conversations Project began with a glass of wine watching soccer – Awful Announcing
• Writer Marc Spears Honored in Oakland – Post News Group
• New Healdsburg Restaurant Serves Up Cowboy-Chic Steaks – Sonoma Magazine
• ESPN’s Marc J. Spears traces San Jose roots that launched Hall of Fame career – SF Chronicle
• Texas-Sized Tomahawk Steaks Rule Over This New Healdsburg Steakhouse – Eater SF
• Newly Minted Hall-of-Fame Sports Writer Marc J. Spears Continues To Innovate Behind Black Stories With Hulu Series – The Sacramento Observer• The Latest From David Lawrence Leads SF’s Best New Restaurants – Inside Hook
• San Jose State honors former student, current ESPN reporter Marc Spears – KTVU
• New on the Menu: Dry-aged duck and Midori Negroni – Restaurant Hospitality
• Video | Class of 2023: Marc Spears speech on combining love of writing and sports at Hall of Fame gala – NBA
• ESPN’s Holly Rowe, Marc J. Spears receive Curt Gowdy Media Award – ESPN