Renowned architect Julia Morgan designed this building in 1908 as the St. John’s Presbyterian Church. Her designs included the church and adjacent Sunday School classroom space. Working with a budget of two dollars per square foot, Morgan used natural redwood paneling, once affordable and abundant, for the interior and exterior of the building. On the inside she left exposed wooden beams, supports, nuts and bolts as part of the design. The result was an inexpensive, functional, but very beautiful building. The main space, which houses the theatre, opened in 1910.